Saturday, August 29, 2009

Happiness Comes From Giving, Not Getting

Kota Sato

Happiness comes from spiritual wealth and, not material wealth … Happiness comes from giving, not getting. If we try hard to bring happiness to others, we cannot stop it from coming to us also.  -- John Templeton

John Templeton said giving happiness means being able to feeling happiness. When I considered his word, I came up with words that a musician said. He said “I like to see our fans smiles and want to make them feel smiles. When I see them, I can feel happiness. However I can’t make lots of people in the world smile, so I try to make my fans smile. If they make their friends smile, the circle of people who make someone smile and happy is conveyed widely all around the world. It’s so fantastic.” I think what he wants to do is not to try to get happiness but to try to distribute happiness and it makes his career go. I also think there is not much difference between the belief of John Templeton and the musician.

 On the other hand I understand John’s word on another side, focusing on his words “not getting”. When people feel happy I think it’s a kind of a present from someone rather than what they try to get. Of course we can’t predict some happiness will have been coming to us an hour later or tomorrow and even if we can do that and if we can get it really, I don’t think it is classified into the word ‘happiness.’ The reason why is it’s what he has been trying to obtain passively from someone. In other words, I think lots of people can feel happiness because it happens suddenly and unexpectedly like a present from friends or family. 

 

4 comments:

  1. I like this saying and also the statement of the musician you told us!!
    Indeed, I've been taught almost same idea by the person whom I respect. Thinking about happiness for others leads to own happiness. This is difficult for huma beings, I think because our human beings tend to think about myself firstly. But if we consider others happy, we can also get happiness for ourselves naturally. Human life is mysterious!!haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, if we make someone happy, we will feel happy for it sooner or later.
    I think nowadays with our incredibly fast pace of life, we have forgoten about making people smile, therefore, when you say something beautiful to someone, instead of smiling instantaneously, he/she will firstly look at you quite bewildered, but then he will understand that you are just saying a compliment to him.
    In my opinion, each one of us should try to make one person smile everyday, and maybe then we will make the world a better place.
    Thanks for your artivle!!

    P.S.: By the way, Aristotle, a Greek philosopher, thought that the main goal of every human being is happiness, thus we must fulfill our aims in life in order to reach happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree that if you bring happiness to others, you would feel happy deep inside your heart.
    the example of the musician is good, if he can make his fan smile, they can also make the people surround them to smile

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats true, i have this knid of experience.
    i believe that people feel more joyful when they're giving, not getting

    ReplyDelete