Thursday, October 22, 2009

Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Song Yang

If you were shown a picture of a baby that you thought was ugly, would the words “Oh, isn’t he/she cute?” come out of your mouth instead? It seems that is what most people do. What I find interesting about this is the child’s picture was altered to look “ugly” and still everyone said the baby was cute. What interests me about this was there are numerous phrases to use.

That doesn’t mean you should tell someone their baby is ugly. If your girlfriend asks whether those jeans make her look big or not. Personally I’d say, “Yes, and you know this…why are you asking me?” but I can sympathize with the boyfriend that says, “No honey…”.

In an effort to spare someone pain, even to strangers, we tell those white lies in an act of kindness. Being generous here, there are times when telling those white lies is “okay” but there are times when a person prefers the truth. Don’t do what is easier for you to tell lies, tell them the truth.

What I’m saying is that there is a time and a place for white lies and there is definitely a time to be mature and tell the truth.

Maybe without lies, relationships between people will not be harmonious and society will be full of chaos. Obviously, lying is an essential part of the human experience and mental health. It’s acceptable to lie in some circumstances.

Accordingly, truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you that relationships will not be harmonious without lies but sometimes lies make our relationships so bad. I like your examples at the beginning of your journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are always two sides of one thing. truths aren't always good while lies aren't always bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good article, although I've got a different opinion on Lies, as I think we shouldn't lie at all. I don't think the world would sink into chaos if there are no lies anymore, I actually think it would be a better place, but that is my opinion.
    But your article is very interesting to read :)

    ReplyDelete