Wednesday, September 30, 2009

'Fashion can be bought. Style one must possess.' --Edna Woolman Chase


Masayuki Sato
 
All though the ages, human beings, especially the younger generation, have cared about their fashion and tried to follow trendy fashion by wearing beautiful clothes, having a nifty bag and changing to a cool hairstyle. It must be a struggle for many young people to choose what to wear every day. Edna Woolman Chase who was editor in chief of a fashion and lifestyle magazine named Vogue in the USA said “Fashion can be bought. Style one must possess.”
 
I’m not exactly sure what her statement means. But in my thinking, this is true. Fashion is not something human beings have until we obtain clothes or shoes or etc. In order to get these kinds of goods, we must pay money and buy them. Therefore fashion can be bought. On the other hand, “style one must possess” she said. Style is the sense of fashion. I think it is a thing human beings originally have and each person's is different, some are tasteful but some tasteless. Depending on the person, the style is different. Style isn’t bought but possessed.
 
It is hard to change our own style but it is easy to change fashion. We can show fashion freely and as we like by buying some stuff.

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, I think fashion is a personal thing. Because people can have their own style. they can wear what they like. But I think we can change our own style more easy than change the fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think fashion and style are personal things. however, I think fashion is something made for you in a various kinds and colors , so you can choose it according to your way or your STYLE. we often say "this is my style" but we dont say "this is my fashion" that means we created it.

    ReplyDelete