Tuesday, September 1, 2009

How Should Men Treat Women?


Ritsuko Araki


This time, I'm talking about this topic focusing on Japan. I'm not sure

about other countries except Japan but in my country, in general, it is

thought that men have to deal with women more carefully than women do men,

whenever or wherever they are. Especially, in the work place, this subject

is very important to know today, I think.


Now, many Japanese women are sensitive about the behaviour of men. Just a

small action of a man could cause a huge problem. For instance, if he says

"How is your work going?" putting his hand on her shoulder, back or waist,

even though of course he doesn't have any bad intentions towards her, 

sometimes it is called sexual harassment. Whatever he

says, when she feels uncomfortable, it is already a problem.


I think that women are too sensitive about it. Once, a body touch used to

be a kind of communication. However now, such a habit is no longer 

allowed.So as good manners, men shouldn't touch women's bodies even 

easily or lightly when greeting. This makes me a little bit sad because 

I feel that men and women are getting further apart in the work place. 

So I don't know whether it is exactly good manners but this is the 

present condition in Japan.

1 comment:

  1. Men should care about the attitude toward women very much in Japan recently. But if women touch men's body, it can't be problem actually. It may be the proof that men's position in society is decreasing or women's power is getting strong!haha

    ReplyDelete