Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin barefoot irreverence to their studies


Jakob Haferland


It is important that 

students bring a 

certain ragamuffin 

barefoot irreverence 

to their studies; 

they are not there 

to worship 

what is known, 

but to question it.

-- J. Bronowski


I think there is a lot of truth in 

these words. Education is not just 

about learning by heart what is 

written in the books. It is about 

exploring things. It is about being 

hungry for knowledge. And that is the 

important task teachers have to deal 

with today, to give their pupils an 

appetite to discover what the world 

out there is like, how it was and 

how it is going to be.

 

Teachers have got to make their 

students want to learn, they’ve 

got to make them desperate 

for more.

 

And as a student it’s important to ask! 

Asking questions and searching for

answers -that’s what education and 

science is all about as well, even 

things which seem to be proven or 

theories without a doubt. It’s 

never wrong to question or reconsider 

things under new circumstances, 

another point of view, with new 

scientific knowledge or simply with 

a new idea.

 

I always had a questioning mind when 

I was at school. Often I got a 

funny look for questioning things and 

sometimes I didn't really 

think through the things I asked, 

to be honest. But if I hadn’t got the 

point, or when I could see that even 

the teacher hadn't got it, I

asked: Not to appear smart, 

but because I was interested.


It is just as the old saying tells us: 

There are no dumb questions, 

only stupid answers.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post Jakob!
    Especially because I defend the same way of thinking as you do.
    You will always learn much more questioning the facts, theories, things around you than accepting them as something natural that must be taken for granted. And it is here where curiosity plays the main role.
    Misquoting St Paul in one of his letters to the Corinthians where he was tlaking about love, I will say:
    "Without curiosity, I'm nothing but a creature who learns with mechanical instincts; without curiosity, I'm nothing but a sponge submerged in a sea of knowledge"

    ReplyDelete