Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A liberally educated person meets new ideas with curiosity and fascination. An illiberally educated person meets new ideas with fear. --Stockdale

Ritsuko Araki

It is usually hard to understand and interpret somebody’s saying. The saying I chose is this one. To be honest, I’m not 100% sure if I got it exactly. But when I looked at it, my interest went to the last word, “fear.” I thought it was pretty interesting that this word was used under the situation of education.
  
As you can see, this saying consists of two sentences. The first one is about a liberally educated person and the second one is about an illiberally educated person. It may be easy for people to understand the first part, but what is difficult to get may be the second part. I think there are some ways to interpret depending on each person.
  
I considered the word “liberally” as much or plenty. If so, it’s natural for this kind of person to meet new ideas with curiosity and fascination because usually, the more we study, the more curious and fascinated we can get. On the other hand, a person who doesn’t study very much could have more fear in any cases than a person who does. The reason I think so is that an illiberally educated person has less knowledge than a liberally educated person. A liberal one must be able to have more confidence than an illiberal one. To have little confidence could lead to fear.
  
Studying or learning hard is really important but if we need it, we have to do it with a lot of fun, I think. Cramming lots of knowledge just for exams unwillingly seems to be sad. And also, it is not happy at all to have fear in education. I wish people can learn many things happily like me
!

2 comments:

  1. I can agree with his idea, too. In my case in New Zealand I always worry about my vocabulary, however the next day when I studied some words on my vocabulary text I don't feel anxiety any more only studying 100 words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting way of looking at this topic, i'd never thougt about seeing it this way! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete