Tuesday, September 8, 2009

In large states public education will always be mediocre, for the same reason that in large kitchens the cooking is usually bad – Friedrich Nietzsche

Troyi Yeung

In the past ten years in Hong Kong, the area of education has changed considerably, but most of the changes are positive. The education today compared with the previous generation is relatively good with small classes where teachers and students can have more space to learn.

There are lots of disadvantages of large class sizes. Because there is only one teacher in a big class, only a few of the students can be taken care of. There is not enough interaction between teachers and students, so not all the students participate while they are learning. Once they can’t keep up with the lessons, they will start to give up on their studies. It is also difficult for the students to understand and to absorb a large amount of data and information in a short period of time. Large classes also make the differences between the top and the bottom students visible. This makes the students suffer from high pressure. As for me, I love a small class size more than a large class because teachers can have more time to teach and I can have more time to understand what I have learnt. I studied in a large class when I was in secondary school, and I never had a chance to ask questions because my teachers couldn’t see me when I raised my hand.

In Hong Kong, if you go to an extra tutorial they will also suggest you to get a private teacher in order to pursue better learning results!

1 comment:

  1. I think smaller classes are better too. But it also depends on the teacher, a good teacher can use his time wisely and help pupils even, in bug classes, but I can imagine that it's not easy.

    ReplyDelete